English  |  Español

Citizenship and Identity Documentation:

Acceptable Documents to Verify Citizenship & Identity of Children

Please provide the highest level of documents you have to verify your child’s citizenship.  Note that the documents listed in ‘Section 1’ verify both citizenship and identity.  If you use a document listed in ‘Section 2’ to verify citizenship, you must also provide a separate document from ‘Section 3’ to verify identity.

Section 1 - Primary Documents: The following documents can be used to verify BOTH citizenship and identity.
  • U.S. passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
Section 2 - Secondary Citizenship Documents:  The following documents can be used to verify citizenship only. 
  • U.S. public birth certificate showing birth in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory
  • Final adoption decree
  • Evidence of civil service employment by the U.S. government
  • Certification of Report of Birth
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. Citizen (Form FS-240)
  • Certification of Birth Abroad
  • Official military record of service
  • U.S. Citizen I.D. Card
  • American Indian Card (I-872) with “KIC” classification
  • Verification of automatic citizenship under sec. 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (Child Citizenship Act)
  • Extract of hospital record on hospital letterhead that shows a U.S. place of birth
  • Life, health, or other insurance record showing a U.S. place of birth
  • Religious record showing either the date of birth or the person’s age when the record was made
  • Early school record showing a U.S. place of birth
  • Other documents that show a U.S. place of birth and were created at least 5 years before the hawk-i application date
  • Institutional admission papers
  • Medical (clinic, doctor, or hospital) record
  • Affidavit signed under penalty of perjury: Affidavit Concerning Documentation of Citizenship and Affidavit of Citizenship
Section 3 – Secondary Identity Documents:  The following documents can be used to verify identity only.  
  • Driver’s license issued by a U.S. state or territory
  • ID cards issued by a state, federal, or local government, or a school ID with photograph
  • Military dependent’s identification card
  • For children under age 16: Clinic, doctor, hospital, or school record
  • Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood or other U.S. American Indian/Alaskan Native tribal document
  • Cross match with a federal or state governmental, public assistance, law enforcement, or corrections agency’s data system; if the agency establishes and certifies the true identity of the individuals
  • U.S. passport issued with limitations
  • For children under age 16 in residential care facilities (RCF): Affidavit of Identity
  • If none of the above evidence of identity is available, three or more corroborating documents may be accepted if the same items were not used to document citizenship. 

To download a copy of the above requirements to print, click here (This form requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader®)or if you have any questions please call hawk-i Customer Service at 1-800-257-8563