English  |  Español

Frequently Asked Questions:

***Click here for MCO Frequently Asked Questions***

I live in Nebraska? Can my kids still qualify for hawk-i?

No, hawk-i is only for children residing in Iowa. To find a similar program in your state, please visit www.insurekidsnow.gov.

My kids are on hawk-i, and I need coverage for myself. Can I apply?

No, hawk-i is only for children under the age of 19.

My child needs a prescription medication and sees a certain doctor. Can you tell me if these will be covered under hawk-i?

To find out what medications are covered and which providers participate, please contact the health plans.

I'm pregnant. Can I get coverage for my unborn child?

No, hawk-i does not cover unborn children. If you are under the age of 19, you may be able to get hawk-i coverage for yourself. If you are age 19 or older, you may be eligible under the Medicaid program.

Can my children get hawk-i even if I own my home or a car?

Yes, if your children qualify and your family income is within the hawk-i limits. See costs.

My friend applied to hawk-i for her children. She was told her children had to have Medicaid. What happened?

Federal law requires that we check all applications to see if the income of the children's family fits Medicaid income limits, which are a little lower than the hawk-i limits.  If they do, those children can have Medicaid, but not hawk-i .

What's the difference between Medicaid and hawk-i services?

Medicaid allows children to have more health services, and for a longer time (up to age 21, or as long as the child qualifies.)
hawk-i services are limited (see Services) and hawk-i only covers children through age 19.

I was recently denied Medicaid coverage, can I apply for hawk-i?

Please contact your caseworker. If you were denied Medicaid coverage because you were over income, they can refer your application to the hawk-i program. The hawk-i program is only for children who are over income for the Medicaid program. If you were denied Medicaid for some other reason, you may need to reapply for the Medicaid program.

Where will I take my child for health care if she gets hawk-i ?

You must choose one of the health plans in your county that serves hawk-i children.  See health plans.

How can I find out more about the hawk-i health plans that serve my county?

If your child qualifies, the hawk-i program will send you some information about all of the health plans in your county. You can also call the health plans customer service number (see health plans.)

I have 5 children. How much will I have to pay?

It depends on your income. You may pay nothing, or you may have to pay up to $40 each month if your children qualify. Click here to see costs.

Are there co-payments for hawk-i services?

Most of the time there are no co-payments. But if you take your child to the emergency room when it is not an emergency, you will be charged a co-payment of $25.

What is a real emergency?

An emergency means that you think the child's condition or injury is life-threatening, or that the child would be harmed without immediate medical care.

Do not take the child to the emergency room for routine care.

If you have time, call your health plan before taking your child to the emergency room.

How and when can I find out if my child can get hawk-i?

Fill out an application, sign it, attach proof of income, and mail the application to hawk-i . You will find out if your children qualify usually within two weeks after we get your complete application.

What is a complete application?

A complete application is a signed application, with all the questions answered correctly and all necessary proof of income attached.

What do I need to send as proof of income?

Income from a job: Send copies of all pay stubs for the last 30 days.  If you do not have pay stubs or if you have a new job, we can take a signed statement from your employer verifying your pay.

Income from self-employment: Send a copy of your most recent tax return (include Schedule C or F). If your self-employment business is new or your earnings are not the same as what is on your tax return, send a copy of the most recent business records; tell us what has changed.

Unearned Income (such as child support, social security, benefits, VA benefits, unemployment insurance, etc.): Send a copy of the award letter, divorce decree, or other proof that shows how much you get.

IMPORTANT:  Make sure to tell us if the income is going to change.  For example, tell us if your last 30 days pay checks show that you worked more overtime than usual.  If you work only part of the year, such as construction worker or school teacher, tell us how much you earn for the entire year.

Should I send copies or originals?

Whenever possible, send copies. (If you send originals, we will copy them and send them back to you.)

I submitted an application. How can I check on the status of my application?

Please call hawk-i customer service at 1-800-257-8563 to check on your application. We cannot provide case-specific information online or over email due to HIPAA regulations.

Where can I get a hawk-i application?

Call hawk-i customer service at 1-800-257-8563 and ask for one or go to applications and download one or fill one out online.

Where do I send my application?

Applications can be mailed or faxed any time.

Imaging Center 4
PO Box 2027
Cedar Rapids, IA 52406

Fax: 1-877-457-7701 or 1-515-457-7701

If my income changes during my hawk-i enrollment year, will my coverage be affected?

No, your benefits are approved for a 12 month period, and changes to your family's income will not affect your hawk-i coverage at that time. However, if your family's income goes down and you are paying a premium, we can look to see if your premium would be less or if the hawk-i coverage would be free.

If my child(ren) gain medical insurance during their hawk-i enrollment year, will my coverage be affected?

Yes, health insurance is not allowed while a child is enrolled in the hawk-i program. You need to report the health insurance as soon as the children are enrolled in it.

Do I need to report the child support / social security income my child(ren) receive?

Yes, all income received by children, parents, and stepparents residing in the household need to be reported and verified when you apply for hawk-i.

I am court ordered to provide insurance for my children, can I apply for the hawk-i program?

If your children live in your household 50% or more of the time, you may apply for the hawk-i program. If they do not live with you, the primary custodial parent should apply.

My children were cancelled for failure to provide a premium payment, can I be reinstated?

Please call the hawk-i program (1-800-257-8563), a one time reinstatement is allowed each enrollment period.

Where can I mail my premium payment to?

You can send your payment to:

P.O. Box 851
Des Moines, IA 50304

I have a question about my hawk-i premium statement. Who should I contact?

Please call hawk-i customer service at 1-800-257-8563 to answer your questions.

My neighbor speaks a foreign language that I have never heard. How can she apply for hawk-i ?

She can call hawk-i  customer service at 1-800-257-8563 and the person who answers will talk to her using a special translation service.

I'd like some hawk-i brochures to display in my business. How can I get some sent to me?

Please call hawk-i customer service at 1-800-257-8563 to request brochures.

I am a provider, and I want to know how to become a provider for hawk-i children, or have a question about billing procedures.

Please contact our health plans to answer your questions.